Following a Cosmetic Reconstruction
It is important to follow the instructions below to speed healing. Note that some discomfort and swelling are normal after surgery.
Day of surgery
- Apply ice to your cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes of ice every hour).
- If bleeding occurs, bite down on a gauze pad or lightly moistened tea bag for 20 minutes.
- Bleeding and coloured saliva are normal postoperative effects.
- Don’t eat anything before the bleeding stops.
- Don’t drink through a straw.
- Don’t rinse your mouth or spit.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol.
- Don’t eat hard foods.
- Don’t engage in intense exercise. Rest.
It takes the brain a while to recognize the new position of your teeth or their thickness. It may take a few days or even a few weeks before you can fully close your mouth. If problems persist after several weeks, call us at 514-355-4884.